Like what you heard? Click to Subscribe and Review on iTunes.
Leadership Show Notes:
All Successful leaders have mentors
- Alexander the great was mentored by Aristotle
- Plato was mentored by Socrates
- Thomas Jefferson was mentored by George Wythe
- Warren Buffet was mentored by Benjamin Graham
- AND Luke Skywalker was mentored by Master Yoda.
Problem – You don’t know everything about entrepreneurship, real estate, getting promoted, public speaking, raising a family, etc…We all have blind spots!
Solution – There’s people with wisdom and experience who can help you. And they actually enjoy it! Mentorship will create in your great leadership.
- Biblical method (older teaching the younger)
- Trades method (iron smith) Books versus learning from a master
- Today – scuba diving, Jui Jitsu, Flying a plane, piano, etc
- Retention (True learning)
- Expertise (Buying a rental property)
- Experience (Scuba Diving)
- Example (spending time together)
- Paying it forward
- Servant Leadership at it’s core
Closing thought –
***How to find a mentor
1) Core principle – have several mentors
2) Core principle – keep it low pressure! Each relationship will look different. Don’t put mentoring in a box. Don’t look for the perfect mentor.
3) Think about the area you need wisdom in. Search your contacts. If you don’t have any, consider your contacts contacts and ask for a warm introduction.
4) Ask that person if you can buy them coffee to pick their brain about a subject. Go from there…